UPDATE: This wall coat rack was featured on Apartment Therapy -A reader there commented that this was not a herringbone pattern, but a chevron pattern.. . . . duh. so. yeah. . . We’re dummies. Don’t know the difference yourself? Check out this explanation at Apartment Therapy . . .
In an effort to cure our current lack of organization downstairs I decided to build a wall coat rack hoping it will help us keep our coats, diaper bags, uniforms, purses, baby carriers, bags, and who knows what else off the counter, couch and floor. I conducted some Pinterest research and drew up the diagrams below, and ended up choosing the herringbone pattern.
*Everything used from this project was leftover wood in the garage
1/4-in plywood (1 sheet)
2/3′ plywood (2 small pieces)
12′ of 1×6 boards
Scrap wood for the herring bone pattern I used ripped 2×4, old wood flooring, and pallet wood
Nail Gun (could use a hammer, nail and nail punch)
Table Saw (Table saw was used to mount project on wall, if you don’t have one you can have your local home improvement store can make the cuts for you)
First we put together our frame using a few 1×6 boards. I looked ahead of time at where the rack would be going and decided I wanted the rack to be 2’x4′
|This will be the front of the coat rack.|
To secure the boards together we used a nail gun, glue, clamps, and a speed square(speed square was to make sure everything was perfectly square).
After getting the frame together we added a couple pieces of 3/4″ plywood onto the back side. . .
We then glued/nailed a sheet of 1/4″ plywood onto the 3/4″ plywood. The 1/4″ plywood is what the scrap herringbone pattern is glued onto.
When we installed our laminate floors we ripped 2×4’s for wall spacers. I’d been holding onto these scraps in hopes of using them for something. I had to save them from JG throwing them away a few times. I love saving scraps and finding uses for them, while JG would rather have a clean garage. These pieces were just right to make the herringbone pattern for our coat rack, good thing I saved them 🙂
|The scrap wood was full of staples I had to pull out with pliers|
After the plywood was attached it was time to start cutting pieces for the herringbone pattern. Unfortunately, this involved math to find angles… We do have an angle finder (which we really could have used), but it was nowhere to be found.
Although the math was fairly simple, it still managed to make us feel dumb. I won’t embarrass myself further by trying to explain how we did any of this. I probably couldn’t even if I wanted to. We used this Solving Triangles website to refresh our triangle math skills.
To be completely honest, even after doing the math I felt like I ended having to “cut to fit” each and every piece of this pattern. Generally all the cuts were around the angles we calculated using the triangle formulas, I’m guessing I made a bad cut in the beginning because every single angle was just a little different. I was ready to pull my hair out at the end of this stage.
I did a happy dance when I finally finished making the pattern cuts 🙂
I used wood glue to glue all pieces in. The pieces were pretty snug in there already so I’m not concerned about reinforcing them with nails.
|I apologize for the terrible lighting in a lot of the pictures. Most of the work for this project took place at night so my garage door was closed.|
After the pattern was glued and snugly put back in place I clamped everything down with a few extra pieces of wood and let it sit for the night.
After filling in a few nail holes with wood filler I moved on to staining. For the first coat I tried using a really light coat of Minwax Dark Walnut stain.
|Dark Walnut Stain|
Normally, dark walnut is my FAVORITE! However, this time around it wasn’t quite the color we were looking for so I rubbed it down with mineral spirits to try and get as much of it off as I could.
After it dried again I went with one coat of Rust-Oleum wheat stain, and one coat of Minwax Polycrylic. This is my first time not using a minwax stain
After everything dried we mounted the hardware which is Everbilt Antique Brass Decorative Coat and Hat Hook, and the second smaller hook I can’t seem to find on the website, but it’s also an Everbilt hook, looks just like the two hooked one but only has one hook.
Next, we needed to make a sturdy mount. I’ve always found mounting heavy things to be daunting, but it ended up being pretty easy. We used our table saw to make a French Cleat. If you don’t have a table saw you can probably get your local home improvement store to cut it for you. Here is an explanation of a French Cleat with a good drawing (I didn’t take any decent pictures). We made a french cut for the top and bottom of the coat rack to give it plenty of support.
And just like that we have a place to hang our stuff!
In an effort to keep it real, the above picture is how the rack looked after I hung everything up and put our shoe rack back. This is how it looks like this most days, save a few days when I muster the effort to take some shoes and coats upstairs. Still 100% better than having all that stuff laying around on the floor!
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Make it Yourself Monday @ An Original Belle
From Dream To Reality @ The DIY Dreamer
Wowza Weekend @ My Love 2 Create and Patriotic Pam
Penny Pinching Party @ The Thrifty Home
Centerpiece Wednesday @ The Style Sisters
Tuesdays at Our Home @ Our Home Away From Home
Under $100 @ Beyond the Picket Fence
Creative Inspirations @ Embracing Change
Pinworthy Projects @ Just Us Four, Atkinson Drive, Domestic Superhero
Pin Me @ Diana Rambles
Revival @ Artof66